Wednesday, April 30, 2008

artist statement since 1998

The perfect combination of “dry point & mono print”, “drawing &sketching”, “acrylic painting” and “drawing & installation” produces distinctive masses of linear drawings. Often, such simplicity contains my emotions of overwhelming happiness and impulsion. It even enables me to enter the inner realm of my imagination, freeing, enhancing and enriching my own imagination.

The simplicity of my work does not see the adoption of too much manipulation nor skills. Instead, my works exhibit perceptions of visual art, evoking feelings which are entirely individualistic and real.

Different forms convey different mood. In my range of works, there are figurative human forms, wriggling organism which appear thus and yet not. These appearances in affinity intend to create an impressionistic/sudden/instant experience.

My works display the intertwine of two existing forms, i.e. an attempt to achieve equilibrium between two instabilities. The forms that you see are deliberately detached from their relevant background and environment, yet they are easily recognized and distinguished. These forms exist between abstraction and naturalism as I do not wish to duplicate but preserve the essence, through exaggeration and simplification. Image adds its touch to the determination of size, texture, composition and colour.

Spontaneous application on the paper or canvas provides unique versatility in expressing my intuition and originality. That with the strength in my liberal and diversified strokes is a coordination to convey my spiritual interaction with the materials.

Art dost not depict things as seen but reveal things to be seen.

At times I find myself drifting amidst the progress of culture and development, at times, I am caught between the world of fantasy and daily routine. Yet I feel relaxed like that of a coiling snake’s curve linear/curvy lines, as I create the art of innocence and peace of mind.

Teoh Joo Ngee
April 2008
Walking Line Art Studio

No comments: